The view from your high horse must be sooooooooooooooooooooo great. . . .
I am a TV junkie. I love TV. I’ll watch crappy shows just because I don’t feel like doing anything else. Don’t get me wrong, I also watch a number of good shows, too. What I can’t stand is when you ask someone if they watch a certain show and they say (somewhat disdainfully). . .
“I don’t watch television.”
Or even better . . .
“Must be nice. I’m too busy to watch television. “
All said in a droopy, my-personality-was-sucked-out-of-me-at-birth tone.
Well, it must be fabulous to be you. You must be sooooooooooooooo terribly important! You probably have more culture and refinement than the rest of us knuckle-draggers. You prolly only read non-fiction too. I bet you’re just itchng for the next Encyclopedia installment to comeout. You prolly edit your own dictionary as well since those apes at Mirriam-Webster can’t define worth a damn!
I feel sorry for you if you are so inefficient at your life you can’t squeeze in a half hour of mindless television. I feel even worse for you because you have the personality of an old ball of lint.
So what if it’s sucking my brain out? So what if you burn more calories while sleeping than when watching TV. I need a little fiction to take the edge off all the reality in my life. And there are good shows out there. The problem is, when a really good one comes along it’s too smart for the majority of the public and so they cancel it after one season (or threaten to cancel it – Cross your fingers for Veronica Mars!)
So what am I watching? Take a look, but judge not, lest ye be judged*
1. Battlestar Galactica
3. Grey’s Anatomy
4. Reruns of Dead Like Me (on showcase)
5. Gilmore Girls
7. My soaps, All My Children and One Life to Live (Shut it, okay! I know they are totally unrealistic, but as I said, I get enough reality in real life!)
8. The Dead Zone (on space)
9. Numbers (if I can stay awake, but at 11pm on a Friday after a full week of work, it’s a crapshoot)
10. Veronica Mars (when it comes to Canada, I don’t have satellite)
11. Video on Trial (on Much Music. OMG it’s the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long time!)
12. Holmes on Homes (on HGTV – honestly, I used to not like him, but he grows on you, the big lug!)
13. Mythbusters (on Discovery – those guys are crazy!! I love it!!)
I don’t always catch all of them on a regular basis but if they’re on, I’ll plunk my butt down and watch. And I refuse to feel guilty.
So I hope the view from your high horse is pretty good, because I guess that’s the only thing you’re watching!
*See, knuckle dragger that I am, I do know some smart-ass quotes!